Roman Theme 7 days
Great Britain: Roman Gourmet Heritage
Although the Romans were only in Britain for about 400 years they left an indelible mark on the country. In 55 BC Julius Caesar arrived at Dover only staying for a few months, to return the following year having made some trade agreements with the tribes. Not only were the Romans interested in Kentish iron but also our excellent British oysters which they exported over the Empire.
The Romans enjoyed some of the British produce but brought many additional foodstuffs and livestock to improve our diet beyond compare. They planted vines, grew herbs, raised deer and pheasants. Follow the footsteps of Julius Caesar’s legions from Richborough to historic Canterbury or progress from Chichester to Bath. If you prefer to tour the north of England why not travel from York to Hadrian’s Wall.
- Take a guided tour around a Roman fort and see the amazing mosaics at a Roman villa
- Tour the National Apple Collection on a tractor with an expert guide
- Experience a tasting at an award winning vineyard with lunch
- Dine on native oysters shucked freshly for you
- Visit a flour mill and take a lesson from an artisan baker
- Tour the oldest brewery in the country with a beer tasting
- Explore historic towns founded by the Romans
- Dine at Michelin starred restaurants
- Attend a chef’s demonstration or talk from a historian
Email now to find out how we can tailor your dream tour.