Georgian Theme 10 days
Georgian Tea, Chocolate & the Classic Revival
The Georgian period saw Britain establish itself as an international power. An era running from the first to the fourth King George of the Hanoverian dynasty, the Georgians saw Jacobite rebellions, the loss of America, the winning of Canada and India from France and Captain James Cook claiming Australia for Britain. The result of all this was an expanding empire which enriched Britain, providing markets for its manufactured goods and a source of raw materials. This fascinating age also saw the beginning of the industrial revolution, powered by steam, canals and enterprising factory owners.
Be inspired by the exotic magnificence of great Georgian mansions and public buildings, such as the Brighton Pavilion, Ickworth, Chatsworth, Osterley and many others, dependent on the region you choose to explore. Listen as our expert guides take you through the fascinating streets of perhaps Brighton, beloved of the Prince Regent, Bath’s elegant crescents, Harrogate or Tunbridge Wells. Learn how to make chocolate from a master chocolatier and of course sample the results! Find out more about how tea became the nation’s favourite drink and, like the Prince Regent, try some fine wines.
- Be guided through a Georgian stately home to see the classical revival architecture and learn how the rich lived at that time
- Visit a chocolatier and join a chocolate making class
- Drink the waters at Cheltenham or Royal Tunbridge Wells just as the Georgians did
- Enjoy a wine tasting with lunch at a local vineyard
- Try cakes and biscuits made from genuine Georgian era recipes in a historic kitchen
- Learn about the lives of the prominent figures in period settings, such as General Wolfe, the Prince Regent, Nelson, Captain Cook, the Duke of Wellington and many more.
Call us now to plan your perfect tour.