Victorian Theme 8 days
Delicacies of the Empire: the Victorian Legacy
Queen Victorian enjoyed a long reign over most of the 19th century, a period when Britain enjoyed strong naval superiority, leadership worldwide in manufacturing, finance, railways, shipping, and entrepreneurship. Expansion into Asia and Africa made the British Empire the largest in history. Imports from all parts of the Empire, as well as beautiful objects seized for the British Museum and private collections, enriched all aspects of British life. Exports made manufacturers rich. The Victorian era also saw the rise of the middle class, who aspired to a better life and drove demand for consumer products, including better quality food.
Discover the ingenuity of the Victorians in their transport systems from steam trains to trams on a Tasteful Travel tour. Marvel at Victorian gothic architecture in the great cities and seaside resorts of Britain. Learn from our expert guides and chefs the delights and dark side of Empire. Here are some of our suggestions:
- Be guided through one of the great living museums of the British Isles, such as Saltaire, Amberley Working Museum, Beamish, Quarry Bank, Blists Hill and many more
- Join a cooking class to learn to cook one of the great imports of the British Empire - curry
- Explore great British towns which boomed during the Victorian era, such as Portsmouth, Blackpool and the cities of the midlands and north - Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and Newcastle
- Indulge in a top quality afternoon tea, with sandwiches, cakes and scones with your choice of champagne or tea
- Visit a local vineyard for a wine and liqueur tasting
Get in touch for more ideas and to design a wonderful tour in your chosen region.